Monday, August 6, 2012

Wasps, Bees, Yellow Jackets, Hornets! Stinging Summer Pests

I've been up on rooftops a lot lately!  Not just because it's fun either!  I've been taking care of yellow jackets and paper wasps!  We've also been taking care of ground nests and nests that are not high up in the eaves of houses.  Bees, wasps, hornets and yellow jackets are some of the least favorite and most feared pests of summer. 

I have been asked a number of questions regarding pest control for bees, wasps, yellow jackets and hornets.  Here are a couple of the questions and my answer.

  • How do you manage to avoid being stung?  I have, but often do not use, a special bee suit.  Mainly it is a matter of knowing the pest, knowing my products, timing and method of treatment.  I manage to avoid stings most of the time.  I do occasionally get a sting which I treat with benedryl (if there is significant swelling), baking soda mixed with water to help draw out the venom (or the membrane of an egg if baking soda is not available).  If ever I were to have trouble breathing after a sting, I would dial 911.  I had to add that because for me, most bee and wasp stings are a minor irritation, but for some, bee and wasp stings present serious allergic reactions that require immediate emergency medical attention.

  • What is the worst time for bees?  Late summer and early autumn are the time of the year here in the northwest when bees and wasps are most aggressive.  This is the time of year that bees are more inclined to sting and aggressively defend the nest. 

And to close, here is a video by national geographic on paper wasps.  I think this particular video takes place in Costa Rica, but it was really interesting to see.  I hope you enjoy!



I'm here for all your pest control needs!  Give me a call or send me an email.

Micah Wood
Peak Pest Management LLC
503-998-4322
360-607-1933
206-790-8285
www.peak-pest-management.com
micah@peak-pest-management.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not attempt to use the comment section of this blog to promote your pest control business or direct traffic to your own website via links. Comments as such will be deleted and marked as spam.