Monday, October 22, 2012

Box Elder Beetles | Nuisance Pests

Sometimes in my profession I learn about trends in pest control on the job.  Sometimes a trend is obvious in my every day life aside from my profession like this weekend. We attended a birthday party at a family friend's home.  When we got there, I noticed a few box elder beetles around.  Then, the back door had 20 or so box elder beetles on it.  Because pest control is what I do, I asked about them.

Come to find out, at times during the day there are literally thousands of them that come and cover one side of the house almost entirely.  Our friend said "Yeah, they are a real nuisance!"  I hear this statement often.  Not only about box elders, but ants, spiders, mice, rats etc.  I think this is why there is a whole category of pests in pest control called "nuisance pests."

Box elder beetles outside, in warm months, often go unnoticed.  They don't cause problems for people outside and during the summer.  However, as the temperatures drop, box elder beetles often try to move indoors-- in homes and businesses to overwinter.  Typically they move in such large numbers that they can actually cause damage by staining things like curtains and walls etc. with their excrement.

Box elder beetles don't bite or cause structural damage.  It is often the fact that they collect in such large numbers that causes concern.  A huge mass of box elder bugs moving in to overwinter just in time for the holiday season in typically not the type of guest most people welcome!

Along the same line of trends in pests, I have also noticed it seems to be a big year/season for spiders. Spiders are a pest that I help people out with year round.  People often ask me to take care of spiders at the same time as other pests.  If I'm out for another pest whether it is ants, mice, rats, fleas etc, I will give a good discount for taking care of spiders at the same time.

Micah Wood
360-607-1933
503-998-4322
206-790-8285
micah@peak-pest-management.com
www.peak-pest-management.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not attempt to use the comment section of this blog to promote your pest control business or direct traffic to your own website via links. Comments as such will be deleted and marked as spam.