Friday, October 19, 2012

Mice | Fun Fact Friday | Mouse means:

The English word for mouse is derived from a Latin word that is derived from a Sansrit word... or so I've read in multiple places.  I'm not going to bore you with the details. For one thing, I like people to read my blog.  Another? Oh, I don't really remember the details because it was kind of boring to read through. But I waded through boring word derivitives all to bring you this:

The word mouse means theif.  Why yes, this is in gold!  Why?  Oh because I thought this little nugget of information was golden!  Or because I wanted to spice things up by changing the color of the text for a little while.  I heard somewhere it helps keep people interested in what you're saying...  How's that working for you?

Anyways, yes, mouse means thief.  It is a very fitting name for a mouse, because they get into things, steal food, steal materials to make their nest etc.  Perhaps the worst thing they steal? Sanity and peace of mind!  Okay maybe not really sanity, but peace of mind? Yes!  Mice are disconcerting little creatures that cause people, who otherwise behave normally, to shriek and jump onto chairs... And not only in cartoons or on tv...  This happens in real life too, I have witnessed it.  And no it was NOT me.  I do not shriek and jump onto chairs-- in my line of work (you know, helping other people deal with these and other pests), that would probably not go over well.  I may or may not have family members who shriek at the sight of a mouse... and they may or may not also sprint away as fast as they possibly can.

Mice in the home cause people to lose more than a little peace of mind because they can contaminate food, ruin clothing and materials, carry fleas and disease and scurry quite quickly under doors and furniture.  A mouse nest in my home would not be well tollerated and not just because pest control is my profession.

Just for fun here is a National Geographic clip on rats. 1 mating pair can have up to 15,000 decendents in a year.  This video is from India, where most people will not kill rats...  But still, undisturbed, this is how rats multiply!



For trouble with mice, or rats, give me a call.  I'll help you out.

Micah Wood
Vancouver 360-607-1933
Portland 503-998-4322
Seattle 206-790-8285
www.peak-pest-management.com
email me micah@peak-pest-management.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not attempt to use the comment section of this blog to promote your pest control business or direct traffic to your own website via links. Comments as such will be deleted and marked as spam.